Low-Cost and Energy-Efficient Reduction of Vibrations in Ultra-precision Manufacturing Machines
Ultra-precision manufacturing (UPM) machines (e.g. micro machine tools, wafer scanners and micro CMMs) are designed to fabricate and measure complex parts having micrometer-level features and nanometer-level tolerances/surface finishes. To achieve the stringent precision requirements of UPM machines, they must be isolated from ground vibrations and residual vibrations stemming from the motion of their axes. In this project, we are carrying out a model-based study of the dynamics of passively isolated UPM machines to determine ways of reducing vibrations via design-level optimization – without resorting to active vibration control – thus reducing costs and energy consumption. Specifically, this research investigates the effects of mode-coupling on improving the performance of passively isolated UPM machines.
Project Team and Collaborators
- Jihyun Lee (Ph.D. candidate, U-M)
- Amir H. Ghasemi (Postdoctoral researcher, U-M)
- Lee, J., Okwudire, C.E., 2015, “Reduction of Vibrations of Passively-Isolated Ultra-Precision Manufacturing Machines using Mode Coupling,” Precision Engineering, In press.
- Okwudire, C.E., Lee, J., 2013, “Minimization of the Residual Vibrations of Ultra-Precision Manufacturing Machines via Optimal Placement of Vibration Isolators,” Precision Engineering, Vol. 37, No.2 pp. 425-432.
- Ghasemi, A.H., Lee, J., Okwudire, C.E., 2015, “A Control Theoretic Framework for Optimally Locating Passive Vibration Isolators to Minimize Residual Vibration,” Accepted for presentation at the ASME 2015 Dynamic Systems and Control Conference (DSCC2015), October 28-30, 2015, Columbus, OH
- Lee, J., Okwudire, C.E., 2014, “Effects of Non-Proportional Damping on the Residual Vibrations of Mode-Coupled Ultra-Precision Manufacturing Machines,” ASME 2014 Dynamic Systems and Control Conference (DSCC2014), October 22-24, 2014, San Antonio, TX.
- Lee, J., Okwudire, C.E., 2013, “Optimal Damping for the Reduction of Residual Vibrations in Ultra-Precision Manufacturing Machines,” ASPE 2013 Annual Meeting, October 20-25, 2013, St. Paul, MN.
- Okwudire, C.E., Lee, J., 2013, “Optimal Motor Location for the Reduction of Residual Vibrations in Mode-Coupled Ultra-Precision Manufacturing Machines,” ASME International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference (MSEC), June 10-14, 2013, Madison, WI.
- Okwudire, C.E., Kim, C.-J., Kim, J., 2012, “Reduction of the Vibrations of Ultra-precision Manufacturing Machines via Mode Coupling,” ASPE 2012 Annual Meeting, October 21-26, 2012, San Diego, CA.
- Okwudire, C., 2012, “A Study on the Effects of Isolator, Motor and Work Surface Heights on the Vibrations of Ultra-Precision Machine Tools,” 7th International Conference on Micro Manufacturing (ICOMM), March 12-14, 2012, Evanston, IL.